Cyberport University Demo Day Awarded 12 Fintech Teams Each $100,000 Seed Funding

by November 15, 2017

Cyberport is dedicated in nurturing the new generation of digital technology talents and entrepreneurs.

Its FinTech-focused Cyberport University Partnership Programme (CUPP), running in its third year and supported by a number of industry partners, provides students with FinTech aspiration a unique opportunity to sparkle their innovation and creativity.

After months of intensive training and mentorship from industry elites, plus 1-week boot camp at the Standard Graduate School of Business (Standard GSB), 21 teams from six local universities pitched at the CUPP 2017 Demo Day today, to unleash their potential to become the future FinTech leaders. 12 winning teams with outstanding performance each won a seed funding of HK$100,000 and a fast-track interview opportunity to the signature Cyberport Incubation Programme.

CUPP 2017 brings to a successful conclusion with 21 university teams comprising 59 university students demonstrating their innovative FinTech ideas. 12 winning teams, Cyberport representatives, judges and partners all joined to celebrate this happy moment.

The students demonstrated to the judging panel their innovative ideas based on knowledge they learnt through series of entrepreneurship trainings. Total 12 winning teams were selected.

One of the winning teams, LEVERUS from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology expressed their joy,

“We are thrilled to win the CUPP 2017. We are especially grateful for the valuable insights from our mentors and the professors at the Stanford Graduation School of Business, who taught us how to navigate the business world. With the HKD 100,000 seed funding from Cyberport, we will be able to put our ideas into action and to start our entrepreneurial journey.”

Dr Lee George Lam, Chairman of Cyberport, praised students’ dedication and passion for their FinTech entrepreneurial dreams during the CUPP.

Dr David Chung Wai-keung, Under Secretary for Innovation and Technology of the HKSAR Government, officiated the opening ceremony.

12 Winning Teams of Cyberport University Partnership Programme 2017

Team and Project University Project Highlights
1.ALGO BORO

Project name: Theatre Entertainment

The University of Hong Kong It is Asia’s first crowdfunding platform for local performing artists. It allows artists to manage their performing status and financial conditions throug hour specially-designed management tools.
2. BBond

Project name:Crisk

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Through Voice-To-Text technology and dashboard function,It can enhance compliance checking process and efficiently detect suspicious transactions.
3. ChipIn

Project name:Partion

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Partion provides a number of crowdfunding services. For example, investors are notified for every loaning activities of the investee company through block chain technology.
4.DarkAI

Project name:Velcron

The Chinese University of Hong Kong The fastest, cheapest and safest decentralised cryptic currency exchange platform that ensures every trade is untraceable. According to the “Fault Tolerant Protocol”, as every transaction does not involve money deposit and withdrawn, it does not leave any transactional footprints.
5. Finsights

Project name: Finsights

The University of Hong Kong It helps users to conduct real-time and in-depth analysis on the market sentiment of a company.
6. Fund2Play

Projectname: Fund2Play

City University of Hong Kong Fund2Play creates an A.I. and digital chatbot platform focusing on providing customer-centric conversation for converting online users to the customers of insurance companies. By using our platform, companies can embed an intelligent chatbot into their websites.
7. LEVERUS

Project name: LEVERUS

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology As a centralized platform leveraging blockchain technology, it provides capital providers with transparent, secured and trustworthy information for market exchange and also help them to build their loan portfolio easily.
8. ODAPP TEAM

Project name: ODAPP-One Device All Payment Platform

City University of Hong Kong ODAPP is a single-payer platform, which supports various electronic payments, including credit cards and PayPal, as well as Mainland China’s mobile wallets. It can largely save the time and cost of business transaction.
9. Pioneer Prop

Project name: AIR2

The University of Hong Kong It provides solution to for companies that are using artificial intelligence and refrain them from the risks caused by the bias decision made by A.I system.
10. TCS

Project name: EduBank

The Chinese University of Hong Kong It aims to educate young people the core features of wealth management, including saving, credit, expenditure and miscellaneous expenses through chatbot and games.
11. USTrategy

Project name: INything

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology It is a one-stop comparison platform for insurance products. Empowered by blockchain technology, it showcases the price of different insurance products, which allow customers to select the most suitable products.
12. X-Change

Project name: EmotionX

The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Through the excellent learning ability of Artificial Intelligence (AI), it provides personal recommendations on stock exchange and financial investments to different customers.

Highlights of CUPP 2017

1. Citi Bank International Limited
  2. DBS Bank (Hong Kong)
  3. Deloitte
  4. Ernst & Young
  5. Hong Kong Computer Society
  6. Hong Kong Monetary Authority
  7. Hong Kong Securities and Investment Institute
  8. Invotech Hong Kong Limited
  9. KPMG
  10. Securities and Futures Commission
  11. The Hong Kong Institute of Bankers

For more information please visit http://cupp.cyberport.hk